About This Blog

You may be wondering why Athena is in the name. I don't believe in the Greek gods, but Athena has always intrigued me. Athena is the goddess of wisdom, inspiration, and arts (as well as several other subjects). I consider English (the reading and writing part specifically) to be made of wisdom and inspiration - as well as an art form. It's beautiful and constantly changing and growing.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Concerning New New Media

Have you ever thought about how "into" technology you are? I have never really thought about it before. I have a Facebook account, but I was a bit behind the times. I signed up once I graduated high school in May of 2010 (which I consider smart because I've seen all the drama from high school students that happened - ugh who really cares?). I had an email (which I still use) from when I was 13, but now due to college and requiring random emails for different classes, as well as forgetting a password once or twice, I know that I have 2 Gmail accounts, 2 Yahoo accounts, 1 Hotmail account (can't remember that one), and 1 Microsoft Outlook account. I really only use my Gmail and Outlook though. Back to Facebook - I am highly addicted to it but I'm trying to wean myself away from using it consistently throughout the day.
I have a Pinterest account which started out as just for recipes and now I have too many boards and pins that I look at when I get bored. I have a Twitter account which I use every now and then. I first started with Twitter because I was following tweets from major video game producers and designers to get the latest info. Now I hardly use it - maybe a handful of times a week if that. I have recently acquired a Goodreads account specifically for the purpose of keeping track of books I've read and finding new books to read. 
Next is Youtube and Blogger. I use Youtube about as much as I do Pinterest which is right behind Facebook. Normally for songs or for watching funny pranks to get ideas though (have to compete with my brother so I need all the help I can get). Blogging appealed to me as a writer because it was a way for me to start sharing my writing. I also did it because I wanted to become more confident as a writer. I have two blogs for two classes and one for my own personal writing and thoughts. 
I never really thought about how dependent I am on technology. My phone and my iPod all have apps that connect to the social media sites. Sometimes it's alright to be so involved in the internet and technology but if you aren't staying "safe" online or it takes up most of your day, it's probably not a good thing. Actually scratch that - it is NOT a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment