About This Blog

You may be wondering why Athena is in the name. I don't believe in the Greek gods, but Athena has always intrigued me. Athena is the goddess of wisdom, inspiration, and arts (as well as several other subjects). I consider English (the reading and writing part specifically) to be made of wisdom and inspiration - as well as an art form. It's beautiful and constantly changing and growing.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Hardware & Software

I started playing video games before dealing with computers. I started on a Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color. Let's look at the Gameboy first. I then moved to a Gameboy Advance to Gameboy Advance SP to Nintendo DS to Nintendo DSi XL. For the 64, I moved to a Nintendo Gamecube then to a Wii. We added a Playstation 2 to our collection when we had a Gamecube. Traded that when the Playstation 3 came out. I used to be PS3 all the way, but I switched to Xbox 360 recently and I like both of them.

When it comes to computers, we started with a big clunky Dell desktop. We have a newer model of the Dell but it's still pretty big. My high school when I was a Junior started a laptop program which I thought was the coolest thing at the time. We had these small HP laptops. Once graduating and coming to DSU, I was introduced to the Fujitsu. And I absolutely loved it! It could swivel to both sides, it was a tablet and a touch screen. But during the start of last semester, it became a pile of crap. I watched as my beloved laptop became a nightmarish monster. I never knew if it would work or not. That was when I knew that I needed to make the switch. Now I have a MacBook Pro 13.3' laptop and it's like nothing I have ever used computer-wise before.

I used to have just a small RCA 2GB MP3 player and then moved onto the 3rd Generation iPod 32 GB. I lost my 3rd Gen and bought the (at that time) newest model which was the 4th Gen. I still use my 4th Gen 32 GB iPod to this day.

I have always had a Canon camera, I started with just one of the cheap Canons and it served me well for a few years. This last summer I saved up to buy a Canon Rebel T3 and I absolutely love it!! I've used it several times the past couple months for Senior pictures (and of course, several pictures of my dogs).

I used to have a "dumb"phone and have just recently made the switch to a smart phone. I chose the LG Lucid and it was probably one of the worst mistakes of my life. It was cool at first but now I find myself wishing that I had chosen the iPhone. I'm experiencing some problems with my phone malfunctioning. Mostly not being able to turn it off without having problems turning it back on, sometimes freezing when I try to use apps, and the keyboard not being able to keep up with the speed or register which letters I actually put. Autocorrect sometimes fixes that problem, but I've also had some major Autocorrect fails. It makes so much sense to me now that I should've gone with the iPod because I love my iPod. I think I just wanted to try the Android system and I'm sure not all of the phones are like my Lucid.

For software, I'm quite familiar with Microsoft Office. In high school, I knew very well how to use Adobe Photoshop although I'm finding now I need refresher courses on how to do the most basic functions.

Active: Mac, Nintendo DS XL, iPod, LG Lucid, Canon Rebel and Xbox 360

Inactive: All of the Gameboys, Desktop computer, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS2 and PS3

P.S. I still do like the Playstation, the only reason I switched was for the game Skyrim. PS3 was not able to get all of the DLC packs so I made the switch. I like both Playstation and Xbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment